Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Weight Watchers.....Day 1

Today being the first day back doing Weight Watchers I thought I would post an article I just found that offers some interesting advice.  The article can be found on the Daily Mail.com
The big advice is that if you want to lose weight successfully, don't tell anyone.  Opps.  Guess I messed that one up already.



"A study from New York University has found that keeping your diet a secret could help prevent failure.

The findings showed that those who shared details of their regimes with family and friends were less likely to meet their goals.

The researchers explained that the positive recognition people receive when discussing their diet can be interpreted as accomplishment. As a result, dieters are less likely to stick to their plan as strictly as before.Professor of psychology Dr Peter Gollwitzer, who lead the study, explained: "The danger is that you feel that you have already reached the goal and because of that you don't have to act on it any more'."
 
The article went on to say,



"He told CNN that dieters can avoid this pitfall in a number of ways.

'One is simple - you can keep your mouth shut,' he said.

'Another one is to form different kinds of intentions, not only say what you want to do but also when, where and how you want to do it.'

He said that by describing our intentions, we mentally map out our future, so are more likely to follow through.

The third solution, he continued, was to only share your weight-loss plan with a trusted few, who can help you keep on course.

Tara Harwood, a registered dietitian with the Cleveland Clinic, echoed his advice.

She told Fox News: 'You have to be very particular on who you choose. Make sure they are people who are going to encourage you and not hinder you and your success.

'So, you do want to tell some people, however, for the most part keep it to yourself and let other people gradually notice these changes in you.'

Funny enough, I have gone through this myself on just about every diet I have been on lately.  I do great until I see my in-laws.  The minute one of them finds out I am on a diet, for whatever reason, I stop dieting.  So, I will just keep my diet between us.  And, I am going to define my weight loss goals according to those four different kinds of intetions the article mentions.

Hope this helps and good luck to you in your weight loss goals!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment