Thursday, February 23, 2012

My future Sister-in-law's weight loss part 2

Saw my future sister-in-law today.  As you remember she had lost 9lbs in 2 weeks.  When I initially asked her how she had done it her response was eating healthy, exercise, and stopped drinking. 
I can now laugh at this formula.

She came over today and volunteered that not only had her weight loss stopped but she has gained back what she had lost.  Why?  Because how she really lost her weight was by cutting her calories to 800 a day (if you know anything about nutrition this is dangerous and puts your system into starvation mode).  And, after she could no longer handle the 800 calories a day diet, she started eating a lot more and gained her weight back. 

The woman works in medicine.  She knows the dangers of dropping your daily calories that low especially since she is 5'10" and has an active job.  She just gave me a goofy grin like she knew some big secret that I didn't.  In the 1990s, I went on a hospital run diet that kept your calories at 900 a day.   I did lose weight quickly but I gained it back quickly as well.  Keeping your calorie in take that low is setting yourself up for rebound weight.  And, a future messed up metabolism.


I wish her luck with her weight loss efforts. Hopefully in future she will make healthier choices.

I am trying a new approach to trying to lose weight.  It is not a huge change.  It is just going to be a series of small changes.  This week I am tracking calories.  I swore I wouldn't do that but I have given in and started doing it.  Normally, tracking calories/points can make me crazy.  But, I am trying to have a more relaxed approach this time.  Right now I am just trying to get a baseline of what is going on.  After I get that information over a week or two, I will then determine the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment