Sunday, August 5, 2012

The problem with all or nothing thinking part 2

I had a really good response to my posting from yesterday about to eat sugar or not to eat sugar.  I just wanted to give a quick follow up.  So, it is the day after I had my first sweet treat in over 40 days.  I had less than a whole cup of ice cream. 

This episode has really taught me what a mind game this all is for me.  I debated eating a treat yesterday for over 6 hours.  Finally, with some prompting from my husband, I ate that ice cream.  The first thing I noticed is that it didn't taste nearly as good as I had imagine it would.  I ate the whole portion because I knew if I didn't my husband would start to wonder if I was developing an eating disorder.  But, I would have been happy to throw it away after the second bite.  After thinking and obsessing over the decision to eat sugar the end result was a huge let down.  Sugar isn't that big of a deal to me any more. 

I was fearful that if I ate a sweet treat again it would then spark a binge in me.  It has not.  In fact, the opposite has happened.  I am craving healthy foods more today.  I am grateful that there were no negative physical consequences to allowing myself a sweet treat.

For me the lesson learned was all about the problem being in my head.  I was taught a certain way to think about food as a child and now I am unlearning it.  As Bethenny Frankel says, "Food is not your friend or your enemy."  The problem isn't food, it is the way you are thinking about food.  If you (OK, me) make a bigger deal out of it then it can cause huge problems in your life.  But, if you take a more relaxed approach it can be a great tool.  Don't stress over eating the wrong thing every once and a while.  Just learn from each time you have a food issue and move on.  I have more to write about that but I will save it for tomorrow.  Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment