Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sept. 18, 2011

The great thing about having a blog this long is that I can go back and re-read it from time to time.  I've been thinking of revisiting Weight Watchers, that is until I re-read my experience with it in May.  Now, I am thinking that would not be the best move on my part.  Still thinking about just doing some general calorie counting for a few days just to check myself.

Although I am feeling extremely stressed out to get the weight off I am trying not to give into the stress.  I read a great article this week about how people tend to be more successful in their weight loss efforts if they just make small changes over time. Usually I do just the opposite.  I try to change everything all at once, get overwhelmed, and fail miserably.

Last week I started using my pedometer religiously and that has actually been the first really positive thing I have done in a while.  I love being able to track the number of steps I take.  It is so instantly gratifying.  So, that was the first small change I made that I was able to stick with.  Last week my step goal for each day was 8,000.  This week I am trying for 8,500.  I want to slowly build up each week so I don't blow out my knee.

The article I read (in this weeks Woman's World) listed four important steps to slowly impliment into your life in order to lose weight for the long term (apparently this is part of the "sparks people" website diet plan.  It is a free website if you are looking for a good weight loss program.  I personally know people who have lost a lot of weight using it).  The steps listed in the article are:

1) Start a food log-just by writing things down you will gradually start to make better choices and eating less.  So, there is no need to even get crazy about tracking calories or points at first.
2) Add "anti-hunger" food at each sitting-they said protein was the best "anti-hunger" food. (I know this to be true)
3) Eat five times a day-the article stated that research shows that people who eat at regular intervals have less hunger and slightly higher metabolisms.  This goes against what I have been doing which is trying to eat intuatively.  But, often I go too long without eating and then over eat due to being too hungry.  Thinking about giving this a try.
4)Add a little exercise-article stated that studies show that dieters who exercise lose about 3x's more weight than by diet alone.  Well, that is a nice thing to read but I was going to exercise anyway.

I have to really sit down with this information tomorrow and set up some small goals for myself for the next week.  More about that later.

Hope that you have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment