Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Science of Exercise

Today I turn 42.

So, I have been writing this blog for a year now.  I haven't made much progress regarding weight loss but I have learned a lot about my body over the last year. 

While I was out today, I listened to a great radio program on NPR.  The topic was "The Science of Exercise" (if you click the link you can listen to the podcast).  One of the people who was interviewed during this show was the NY Times "Phys Ed" columnist, Gretchen Reynolds.  She just published a book called “The First 20 Minutes: Surprising Science Reveals How We Can: Exercise Better, Train Smarter, Live Longer,”   She talked a lot about HIT training .  The program was very detailed and interesting and there is no way I can do it justice, just take a listen for yourself.

The show confirmed for me a conclusion that I have come to on my own.  I am no longer going to focus on food.  Instead, I am going to focus on exercise my goal.  Primarily, I will be doing this by doing Les Mills Pump.  But, that is not the only way I want to get exercise into my life.  Doing kata daily is also an important focus for me.  But, really any way I can get exercise and movement into my day is going to be my main focus.  Also, I want to exercise at least 5 days a week.

There are some interesting side effects this new focus seems to have on me.  First of all, my attitude is better. I feel happier.  Getting your workout in is a more positive goal for me than over thinking everything that goes in my mouth.  Secondly, I feel better when I exercise daily.  Thirdly, I eat better and less, without trying.  Since I started doing this (gradually for the last week) I have lost 5lbs. without thinking about it.

Now I know that losing weight is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise.  But, psychologically focusing on my diet makes me 100% crazy.  So, it is not worth it to me.  Instead, let me focus on exercise and let everything else fall into place all by itself.

Going forward with this blog I will be blogging about my workouts.  It will be used as a tool to help me get my five workouts a week into my schedule.

Happy Birthday to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment